Welcome to Picture Victoria
search go
advanced search  |  search tips
home about FAQ's particpants contact copyright
Langridge Street looking east from Smith Street

c. 1887 Langridge Street looking east from Smith Street

ID: 9473
Photographer: Lindt, J. W.
Copyright: Image held by Collingwood Library
Org ID: CL PIC 6

Description: Size: 153 x 210 mm The foreground shows the section of Langridge Street from Smith Street to Wellington Street. A horse-and-carriage with driver stands at the bluestone gutter. A policeman complete with helmet stands at the ready while an elderly man with a rough walking stick looks on. All three men are bearded. Gas lamps line the street. To the right the side of the bi-chrome Commercial Hotel can be seen, then the Christian Chapel with a sign announcing that Dr. Porter preaches the gospel at Collingwood Town Hall. Below this is a sign erected by G. D. Langridge, auctioneer, and including the words 'City of Collingwood' and 'brick building'. It is not clear whether it is the chapel that is for sale. The large building on the left (now home to the Last Laugh Theatre Restaurant) housed at its Smith Street entrance the Langridge Mutual Permanent Building Society, managed by George D. Langridge, J.P., M.L.A, house agent and auctioneer, after whom the street was named. On the left (north) side is Waugh Bros, modellers and manufacturers of garden fountains, etc., then five house built in 1871 or 1872 and following the slope of the street. They have window shutters and open directly on to the street. Although timber (block-fronted with weatherboard sides) they are built as one unit, a style later outlawed because of the fire risk. Collingwood Council did not adopt its first building regulations until 1874, and even then they were perfunctory, inadequate and not strictly enforced. The house on the corner of Little Oxford Street has a shop window and was at different times a grocer's, a confectioner's and a greengrocer's. A woman stands outside this shop with her dog. The houses' bi-chrome chimneys echo the style of the six-storey brewing tower to be seen in the distance on the corner of Langridge and Wellington streets. This is John Wood's Yorkshire Brewery, topped by a flagpole. Between Little Oxford and Oxford streets is Thomas Wood's corn and wood store. Content of image: Langridge Street ; Langridge, George David ; Commercial Hotel ; Christian Chapel ; Waugh Brothers ; Yorkshire Brewery ; Wood, John Address: Langridge Street roads and streets streets - langridge street, collingwood

Please Contact:
Yarra Libraries

Yarra Libraries
Phone: 1300 695 427
Email: yarralibraries@yarracity.vic.gov.au
Website: Yarra Libraries

Printing tip: Before printing, please change your page orientation to Landscape in your printing options. This will ensure the best print results.

HOME | ABOUT | BACKGROUND | SCOPE | FAQ'S | HOW CAN I PARTICIPATE | CONTACT | COPYRIGHT | DISCLAIMER | LINKS | ADMIN LOGIN   Picture Australia State Libaray of Victoria Victoria the place to be